Mar 9 Care Mission
Assemble a Care Package for a SeniorA simple package can go a long way to combat senior isolation.
“Brown paper packages tied up with string, these are a few of my favorite things.” – Julie Andrews
Along with raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, packages can add cheer to a lonely day. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, 28% of people aged 65 and older live alone. Another survey finds that 1 out of 3 seniors are lonely. If you’re far away from your family or if you want to stay in touch between visits, giving a care package is a great way to let someone know you’re thinking of them.
This week, collect items you may already have to make a simple care package for a senior neighbor or loved one. (Bonus points if you can hand-deliver it!) Here are some items you could include:
- One of your favorite books with a note sharing why it’s your favorite
- A magazine or crossword puzzle
- A moisturizing lotion
- Herbal tea or a diet-friendly snack
- Stationery and an invitation to be pen pals
- Something personal like a recipe, drawing or framed picture
- A warm lap blanket or a pair of cozy socks
What will you include in your care package?
Ready to Care?
Sign up, and see how easy it is to give and inspire care.