3 Free Pen Pal Toolkits for Teachers and Group Leaders
Brighten the lives of lonely seniors in your community and better yourself and those you lead.
April 14, 2021
Whether you’re a grade school teacher looking for new ways to engage your classroom, or a church leader who wants to provide more outreach to your congregation, becoming a pen pal with Ready to Care® by Home Instead® provides the perfect opportunity to brighten the lives of lonely seniors in your community as well as to better yourself and those you lead.
Download one of our free pen pal toolkits to get started:
- Elementary School Lesson Plan and Toolkit
- Nonprofit Organization Toolkit
- Church and Ministry Toolkit
5 Reasons to Become a Pen Pal
- It’s a great way to learn while giving back to your community – Service learning has become more popular in recent years. It’s a great way for students to branch outside the classroom to discover new ideas and understand the world.
- It provides new social perspectives – Those who learn through volunteerism are more apt to expel stereotypes and find empathy for those who live in or often face difficult situations. The Ready to Care pen pal initiative allows people to interact with a demographic they might not normally get the opportunity to – forging new friendships and bringing awareness to issues older adults face.
- You’ll help end senior isolation – With roughly 1 in 4 older adults considered socially isolated or lonely, your personal connection will likely make a huge impact in a senior’s day – or even much longer.
- It’s fantastic fellowship – Virtual letter writing parties through religious or community circles are a great way to not only promote fellowship and share creative ideas, but also gain understanding of why others are volunteering. And on top of that, they’re a lot of fun!
- Volunteering improves your own health – Besides the good old feeling you get from helping others, studies show that acts of kindness and volunteering reduces stress, promotes mental and physical activeness, and can actually add years to your life!
How to write the perfect letter
You might be thinking, “Hey, I like the sound of that – but what do I even write about?” Don’t worry, you’re not alone. So far, we’ve received more than 6,000 letters from caring individuals like you who have put their own flair and creativity into helping others. Here are a few of our favorites.
Not much of a writer, but still want to get involved?
We’re always looking for volunteers and organizations to help distribute pen pal letters to seniors in local communities. Contact us as at [email protected] to get started.
Remember, it takes all of us to fearlessly create today the world we want to grow older in tomorrow.