10 Ways You Can Immediately Cheer Up an Older Adult
Bouts of sadness and depression are unfortunately all too real for many people. Recognizing those who are suffering and brightening their day through simple acts of kindness and gestures is a step in the right direction.
September 29, 2021
You know the days – the days where you wake up on the wrong side of the bed. The days where you wish the chaos of life would slow down a bit so you can catch your breath. The days where, well, you just aren’t you.
Now think of a friend or loved one who is going through a tough life journey. How are they feeling? Have you talked to them lately? What would make their day brighter today?
With depression effecting more than 7 million people over the age of 65 in the U.S. alone, it’s important we recognize and act when our loved ones, neighbors, co-workers and other folks in our lives are struggling.
While no one has a magic wand and can fix all of life’s complex problems, there are many ways we can help cheer up those who are feeling down. From a thoughtful card to a funny text message, kindness comes in many forms – and is shown through many expressions and acts.
Here are our 10 suggestions to help cheer up a senior who needs it:
- Pick up the phone – It’s the oldest kindness trick in the book. And even if your someone doesn’t feel like talking, you can always leave a detailed message letting them know you are thinking about them and that you’ve got their back.
- Send a gift card – $10 to their favorite coffee shop or bistro is a thoughtful gesture that can up their day from zero and make you a hero.
- Drop off a nice note – Put it in their mailbox, on their door or under the wiper blades of their car. They’ll appreciate the surprise.
- Give a compliment – Maybe it’s the way they did their hair or how well their work presentation went. Whatever it may be, just make sure you let them know you noticed.
- Treat them to lunch – Help get them out of their funk by getting them out of their normal lunch routine.
- Share social media posts – A trip down memory lane can often be dug up on social media. Share some favorite moments you two have had over the years.
- Offer a ride – Don’t discount the kindness of giving a lift to someone – especially if they are going through any health-related issues.
- Sweets – No matter the mood, it’s hard to turn down a favorite candy or chocolate treat.
- Smile – Like yawning, smiling can be contagious and will also lighten any mood.
- Converse face-to-face – It’s an art that can be brushed aside in our digital age. Talking – no matter what about – is a great way to show them you value their time and care about what is going on in their life.
What is your go to pick-me-up? Tag us on social @imreadytocare and let us know!
Categories: Resources and Activities