Here are some tips to bring joy to a senior in isolation:
1. Send a letter – Whether you become a pen pal to a senior with Ready to Care or write to someone you already know, letters are heartwarming and thoughtful.
2. Pick up the phone – A short phone call can brighten the day – or week – of someone who rarely hears from anyone.
3. Leave a surprise at their door – Candy and other small gifts are easy ways to let someone know they are cared about.
4. Interact outside – Sitting on the porch or in another outside setting, make a social engagement date.
5. Start a book or movie club – Find an interesting title you both like and discuss your thoughts through phone or video chat.
Did You Know?
According to the CDC, roughly 1 in 4 older adults are considered socially isolated. This isolation often leads to depression and other health issues. The good news is that you can make a positive difference in the life of a senior with simple acts of kindness.