11 Things You Can Do Now to Help SeniorsNow more than ever, seniors need our support. Here are 11 simple ways you can help seniors and feel good knowing you are spreading kindness.
“Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.”
-Booker T. Washington
At Ready to Care, our focus has always been on helping seniors by encouraging others to carry out simple acts of care and kindness. It’s true that everyone can benefit from a kind gesture. But we also know that seniors are at greater risk of experiencing things like limited mobility, chronic conditions or feeling isolated.
Suddenly, with COVID-19 impacting the globe, many older adults are isolated at home to avoid the virus. It changed how we safely interact and help our senior friends, neighbors and loved ones. We’re all missing out on afternoon visits, lunches out and warm hugs.
With this change, Ready to Care is committed to sharing ways you can help seniors. Our Care Missions are being adapted to address the challenges currently facing older adults. We’ll continue sharing useful tips and providing inspiration to help others.
We are in uncharted territory, but we can continue supporting each other. Helping those in need through small acts of kindness and care may matter more than ever in the days ahead.
To help right now, we have gathered our favorite past Care Missions and a few new ideas. These simple actions can help ease loneliness or help a senior in need.
- Check In with a Senior – Call, text or write a senior to check in and see how you can help.
- Deliver Food or Groceries – Send a meal to a senior or help them find ways to have meals or groceries delivered to their home.
- Take the Gratitude Challenge – Thank three people you’re grateful to have in your life, and then complete an act of kindness for someone else.
- Give a Senior a Compliment – Learn six secrets to crafting a heartfelt compliment. On your next phone call, these tips can help you find the right words to make someone feel extra special.
- Donate to Help Seniors in Need – If you want to donate to organizations that support seniors, GIVE65 is a great resource. The site exclusively features nonprofits that have programs and services for seniors. Featured organizations support seniors in need of food, shelter, home improvements and more.
- Let a Senior Go Ahead of You in Line – We asked you to do this over the holidays, but it may be even more important now. Let older adults go first in line to help them reduce time in public.
- Ask a Senior for Advice – Next time you call a senior loved one, ask them for advice. They have a lifetime of experience to share with you.
- Share Joy on Social Media – Spread messages of joy, hope and support online. It’s also a great way to connect with seniors you can’t see in person.
- Listen to a Senior – Help combat senior loneliness by calling a senior. Understand that even before COVID-19, many reported feelings of isolation. Listening can be a kindness.
- Pray for Someone – When situations are out of your control, offering a quick prayer or sending positive vibes can be a good way to show you care.
- Sign up for Ready to Care – Join over 10,000 others who are making a difference. Get weekly texts challenging you to spread kindness to seniors in your community. We send you one kind act to compete each week.
Be helpful. Be safe.
We encourage everyone to practice official safety guidelines when it comes to social interactions and helping others. This may mean adapting Care Missions on this site to be consistent with current recommendations. For COVID-19 guidance, visit: